At Least 87 Killed in Norway Shooting Spree


(Update: As of Saturday, Police in Norway now say 84 people were killed in the shooting spree. Counting the seven individuals killed during the bomb explosion in Oslo, the death toll sits at 91.)

A second deadly attack on the tiny island of Utoya in Norway has left at least 87 dead, according to ABC News. The number has grown to staggering proportions throughout the day as details continue to pour in about the incident.

Here's what we know: An unidentified man -- disguised as a police offer -- opened fire at a youth summer camp on the tiny island. Reports said panicked teens had locked themselves in buildings and tried to swim away from the island to escape the gunman, who was eventually arrested.

Police believe the man was also responsible for exploding a bomb earlier at a government office in Oslo. That attack left two dead.

Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg had been planning to attend a youth Labour Party event on Utoya Island, which is 50 miles north of Oslo. Around 700 people were on the island at the time of the shooting, which occurred at 5:50 p.m. location time. They were mostly teenagers who'd come to attend a summer camp.

The 87 dead is a much bigger number than previously thought. At first, the number was five. That number jumped to 10 and held for most of the day. But Police Director Oystein Maeland told reporters in Norway that more victims were discovered after the first toll was announced.

"It's taken time to search the area. What we know now is that we can say that there are at least 80 killed at Utoya," Maeland told the Associated Press. "It goes without saying that this gives dimensions to this incident that are exceptional."

One girl described the scene to AP: "I saw many dead people," said 15-year old Elise, whose father, Vidar Myhre, didn't want her to disclose her last name. She just feet away from the gunman when he opened fire in the camp on Utoya island.

Elise said she had just come out from an information meeting in a nearby building when she heard gunshots. She saw a police officer and thought she was safe, but then he started shooting.

"He first shot people on the island. Afterward he started shooting people in the water," she said.


Popular Video