Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton and her campaign are likely bracing themselves as the press combs through the 7,000 pages of her emails released Monday.
The State Department released a quarter of the former Secretary of State's archive of correspondence on Aug. 31, in accordance with a court order. Among the emails were two very clear directions to the people on the receiving end: 1.) delete the messages after you read them and 2.) please don't forward them.
Clinton has been facing a intense scrutiny after it was discovered that she had used her own private, unencrypted server to send thousands of emails while Secretary of State. Many politicians -- mostly Republicans -- have voiced their criticisms of Clinton's decision to use a private email acount, saying that confidential information could have gotten into the wrong hands if her server had been hacked.
Clinton and her team have insisted that all of the emails passed through her private server were not deemed classified at the time. The State Department has said that about 150 of Clinton’s emails have been newly classified.
“That certainly does not speak to whether it was classified at the time it was sent, or forwarded, or received," says State Department spokesman Mark Toner. “We stand by our contention that the information we’ve upgraded was not marked classified at the time it was sent.”
In fact, the State Department recently noted that using a private email server was allowed at the time Clinton was Secretary of State.
The Blaze reports that an email sent by Clinton indicates that she was at least aware that the information she was sending through her private server was sensitive.
Clinton writing to former-Chief of Staff Cheryl Mills and USAID administrator Rajiv Shah: “Cheryl and Raj — I sent you emails [redacted] before removing their email info so pls do not forward to anyone and delete after reading. Thx.”
Clinton has previously downplayed the concerns over her use of a private email, but last week in Iowa admitted that it might not have been good judgment on her part.
“My use of personal email was allowed by the State Department,” she said. “It clearly wasn’t the best choice … I take responsibility for that decision.”
The State Department has until January 2016 to release the entirety of Clinton’s emails.
Photo Credit: BrettWeinstein/Flickr, Brent Danley/Creative Commons