A federal judge has dismissed a lawsuit filed against former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton by the parents of two Americans who were killed during the 2012 Benghazi attack.
Judge Amy Berman Jackson of the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia has dismissed the case against Clinton, ruling that she did not defame the plaintiffs or hold them in a false light, The Inquisitr reported.
The former presidential candidate was accused of lying about the 2012 attack that killed four Americans on a U.S. diplomatic compound in Benghazi, Libya. The parents of two of the victims filed wrongful death and negligence claims against Clinton, accusing her of lying about the attack to protect former President Barack Obama's chances of being re-elected, as well as her own political ambitions.
The lawsuit, which was filed by Patricia Smith in August 2016, alleged that Clinton was responsible for the deaths of Sean Smith and Tyrone Woods because her private email server allowed terrorists to easily access sensitive information.
The suit also accused Clinton of lying to the parents, claiming that she told them a YouTube video, not her email server, prompted the Benghazi attack.
“Immediately after the attack, Defendant Clinton, in an effort to save the re-election chances of President Barack Obama, and in turn, her own chances at the 2016 presidency, lied to Plaintiffs and the public at large that the Benghazi attacks were caused by Islamic reaction over an anti-Muslim YouTube video that had been posted on the internet," the claim stated.
The lawsuit added that Clinton was aware the video did not cause the attack, and even alleges that she shared this information with the prime minister of Egypt and with her daughter, Chelsea Clinton.
Smith worked as a State Department information management officer in the Benghazi compound, while Woods was a CIA operative. Two other Americans were killed in the attack: U.S. ambassador to Libya Christopher Stevens and CIA operative Glen Doherty.
Jackson wrote in her 29-page opinion: “The untimely death of plaintiffs’ sons is tragic, and the Court does not mean to minimize the unspeakable loss that plaintiffs have suffered in any way. ... But when one applies the appropriate legal standards, it is clear that plaintiffs have not alleged sufficient facts to rebut the presumption that Secretary Clinton was acting in her official capacity when she used her private email server to communicate with State Department personnel about State Department business.”
Clinton recently made headlines for attributing her loss in the 2016 presidential election to sexism and former FBI Director James Comey, CNN reported.
"If the election had been on October 27, I would be your president," she told CNN's Christiane Amanpour during a Women for Women event in New York. She added: "[I was] on the way to winning until a combination of Jim Comey's letter on Oct. 28 and Russian WikiLeaks raised doubts in the minds of people who were inclined to vote for me and got scared off."