Fox News said that President Donald Trump was spending the weekend working at the White House when he had been to the Trump National Golf Club in Potomac Falls, Virginia, on March 25 and 26.
Fox News tweeted a picture of the White House with this caption on March 26: "News Alert: [POTUS] spending weekend working at the White House" at 5:30 p.m East Coast time, notes The Washington Post.
Bradd Jaffy of NBC News tweeted on March 25: "Trump left his golf club after [4.5] hours, about the amount of time it takes to play a round of golf. Pool was told 'meetings,' no more info."
The Washington Post notes that pictures appeared on Instagram and Twitter of Trump dressed in his golfing outfit, and riding in a golf cart on March 25.
Trump reportedly went to the Trump International Hotel in Washington, D.C., for dinner that night with his daughter, Ivanka Trump, and her husband, Jared Kushner.
Trump went back to the Trump National Golf Club at 11:04 a.m on March 26. Reporters were told that Trump was "wrapping up [the] last of three meetings shortly."
One Instagram user posted a picture of what appeared to be Trump, at his golf club, watching the Golf Channel with two unidentified people; Trump went back to the White House at 12:36 p.m.
The Washington Post notes that Trump and Fox News (who both refused to comment) were mocked by some Twitter users:
- News Alert: President Does His Job, Maybe.
- BREAKING NEWS. President does his job at his taxpayer provided place of work.
- when "President of the United States Does His Job" is an impossible scoop.
The Washington Post noted in February that Trump used to mock former President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama on Twitter for playing golf and going on vacations:
- [BarackObama] played golf yesterday. Now he heads to a 10 day vacation in Martha's Vineyard. Nice work ethic.
- Michelle Obama's weekend ski trip to Aspen makes it 16 times that Obamas have gone on vacation in 3 years.
- With 15% US real unemployment and a 16T debt, [Michelle] Obama's luxurious Aspen vacation - her 16th - cost us over $1M.
- Who else could take 16 vacations, play over 100 rounds of golf and hold over 300 fundraisers while serving as (cont).
The Washington Post also reported in February that three of Trump's weekend trips to his Mar-a-Lago estate in Florida "probably cost" taxpayers about $10 million.
White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer was asked on March 29 if Trump was "concerned about pushback" regarding the cost of his Mar-a-Lago trips, and Spicer said: "No, he feels great."