CBS has taken down a 60 Minutes interview with security officer Dylan Davies— who went by the name Morgan Jones on the show— who was hired to protect the United States diplomatic mission in Benghazi, after sources uncovered reports contradicting his account.
Davies, who worked for a British-based contractor called Blue Mountain, described a race to the hospital and the compound on the night of the Benghazi attack, during which he hit a militant in the face with a rifle and killed him, reported New York Magazine. He also describes that night in a new book, “The Embassy House,” in which he focuses on the incident to detail U.S. security shortcomings during the spate of attacks in Libya.
The Washington Post uncovered Davies’ own report to Blue Mountain following the attack that painted an alternate picture. The incident report, which also revealed Davies’ real name, states that Davies spent most of the night at his beachside villa. His one attempt to get to the compound was impeded, “as roadblocks had been set up.”
In a telephone interview with the book’s co-author Damien Lewis, who said that Davies was in the hospital and could not comment, Lewis said that he knew the report existed. He suggested that Davies had falsified it, as he had acted against his superiors’ orders not to come near the compound.
Two days later, on Nov. 2nd, Davies told The Daily Beast that he had not written the report, and had never seen it.
“I am just a little man against some big people here,” Davies said. “They can do things, make up things, anything they want, I wouldn’t stand a chance.”
Davies suspected the State Department leaked the report to the Washington Post.
Other accounts, including Davies’ own to the F.B.I. and other agencies in the wake of the attack, also differ from what Davies told 60 Minutes host Lara Logan.
CBS stood by the interview until Thursday, when a New York Times story made it clear that Davies’ account to the F.B.I. did not match up with what he had told the network. CBS News chairman and “60 Minutes” executive producer Jeff Fager commented, “We’re surprised to hear about this, and if it shows we’ve been misled, we will make a correction,” after previously stating that the network was “proud of the reporting that went into the story.”
The interview has since been taken down.