A woman in Texarkana, Texas, was cleaning outside her home Wednesday night when she came across a snake. Thinking on her feet, the woman poured gasoline over the reptile and called to her son to set it on fire.
The woman’s son then lit a match and threw it at the snake as it slithered into nearby brush pile, which also caught fire. The fire then spread and the flames engulfed their home.
"We were trying to kill a snake with fire," the woman said during the 911 call. "It done caught the house."
"Caught the house?" asked the dispatcher.
"Yes, the house is on fire. Could you hurry up please?"
The Liberty Eylau Fire Department concluded that the home was completely destroyed from the fire, and a neighbor’s home was significantly damaged as well.
This isn’t the first time animals have caused huge fires, according to Fire Chief David Wesslehoft.
“With rabbits and big field mice, once they start burning the grass they get out of their hole,” said Wesslehoft. "They have been known to catch on fire and take off.”