A new video released by ISIS Nov. 18 warns of an attack on New York City.
A portion of the video (shown below) shows an explosive device being built and then strapped to a suicide bomber. The slickly produced video flashes scenes of Times Square between frames of the purported bomber walking into the street.
The New York Police Department (NYPD) released a statement saying that it was aware of the video and was stepping up security in the city, CNN reports.
“While some of the video footage is not new, the video reaffirms the message that New York City remains a top terrorist target,” the statement read.
“While there is no current or specific threat to the city at this time, we will remain at a heightened state of vigilance and will continue to work with the FBI, the Joint Terrorism Task Force and the entire intelligence community to keep the city of New York safe," the statement continued.
The scenes from New York City incorporated into the video are scenes from a previously released video, and the video does not specifically mention an attack on Times Square, Fox News reports. Speakers in the video say the recent attacks in Paris were just the beginning. The video reportedly ends with a message on screen that reads, “and what is to come will be worse and more bitter.”
John Miller, the NYPD deputy of intelligence, downplayed the significance of the the video during a news conference Nov. 18 with Mayor Bill de Blasio and Police Commissioner Bill Bratton, CNN reports.
“This is an old video that was kind of rehashed,” he said from Times Square. “This is ISIS doing what ISIS and al Qaeda and terrorist groups do, which is propaganda.
" ... When we see the video, we make note of it, but it's like a lot of videos we've seen."
De Blasio urged New Yorkers to continue with their daily lives.
“The people of New York City will not be intimidated,” he told reporters.
“We understand it is the goal of terrorists to intimidate and disrupt our democratic society," he added. "We will not submit to their wishes."