A man accused of plotting a "serious" terror attack was released from custody because a German court has too many cases on its docket, according to German media.
A Feb. 26 report in The Independent quotes German public broadcaster Hessischer Rundfunk, saying the suspect is a 32-year-old Syrian national who tried to board a Turkey-bound flight from Frankfurt, Germany, in 2014.
The suspect was accused of trying to join ISIS forces in Syria, according to The Independent, and was charged with planning “serious subversive violence." The news source didn't offer details on the severity of the charge, but the charges were leveled by German federal authorities.
The man had been in custody for two years until he was released by a German state court. It's not clear when he was released.
“The court is doing other things at the moment," a court spokesman told Deutsche Presse-Agentur, explaining why the man's case hasn't been heard.
That explanation didn't sit well with prosecutors, who protested the court's decision. Under the terms of his release, the suspect is required to check in with local police three times a week. Prosecutors said that so far, the man has been reporting in as required.
A court spokesman told Hessischer Rundfunk the man was released because it was unfair to hold him indefinitely. It's not clear if that quote came from the same court spokesman who attributed the man's release to the court's caseload.