I know that I have a playlist on my iPod for every activity I do during the day: working in my home office, cooking dinner, reading, lifting, running, etc. Music is a huge part of society today, and with a vast variety to choose from, there is the perfect song for every part of the day. In that same way, an energizing playlist can be just the thing you need to get you through that tough workout. Music has been shown in studies to be very beneficial as part of your workout routine because people workout at a higher intensity when listening to music.
1. Distraction: Music keeps your attention away from the stress you are putting on your muscles. As you listen to your favorite song, concentrating on the words or beat can reduce your perceived exertion (making you feel like you aren’t working out as hard).
2. Soothes: One hypothesis claims that calming music relaxes the brain and puts an individual into a restful and content state of mind even during exercise. To feel this effect, calm music should be inserted into your workout playlist.
3. Paces: Playing an upbeat song is a great way to pick up your speed during a run. Try keeping your stride on with the beat to keep yourself going at a steady rate throughout your workout.
One thing to keep in mind is that loud music from headphones can damage your hearing. Here are some great workout enhancing workout songs for you to check out!
• Butterfly by Jason Mraz
• Unskinny Bop by Poison
• Can’t Stop by Maroon 5
• How Do You Do by Cascada
• Dirty Pop by N*Sync
• Eye of the Tiger by Survivor
• Shake Your Body by Michael Jackson
• Unstoppable by Kat Deluna
• Everybody Loves Me by OneRepublic
• Dirty Dancing by Black Eyed Peas
• Hot Blooded by Foreigner
• We’re Dancing by Mandy Moore
What are some of your favorite workout songs?