You can keep your Tim Tebow and Tom Brady hype, ESPN and assorted sports media. The numbers point to a very different NFL hero having claimed the hearts and minds of football fans everywhere. Yup, it's Tony Romo's time to shine.
No, just kidding. It will never be Tony Romo's time to shine.
According to Joanna Hunter of the NFL (via USA Today), Green Bay Packers quarterback and MVP favorite Aaron Rodgers has the best-selling jersey at the league’s online store this year. The time period for which sales were tabulated spanned from April 1 through December 31st, Hunter indicated. The top five was rounded out by Tebow, Troy Polamalu, Drew Brees and Brady.
Here is the entire list:
1) Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay Packers
2) Tim Tebow, Denver Broncos
3) Troy Polamalu, Pittsburgh Steelers
4) Drew Brees, New Orleans Saints
5) Tom Brady, New England Patriots
6) Clay Matthews, Green Bay Packers
7) Michael Vick, Philadelphia Eagles
8) Eli Manning, New York Giants
9) Tony Romo, Dallas Cowboys
10) Miles Austin, Dallas Cowboys
While the notion of Rodgers having the most sought out jersey in the league isn’t all that crazy, you have to wonder where the good folks of Green Bay are getting so much dough. Don’t forget, this is the same batch of loyalists who recently took to splurging on largely worthless Packers stock. Twice.
What bad economy?