Belfort, however, was unable to complete the submission, as Jones pulled out his arm and went on to secure a fourth round submission in the main event for the UFC light heavyweight title.
"When I heard his arm pop, I let go a little and that is where he escaped," said Belfort, during a post-fight interview on Fuel TV. "I made a mistake. He is a great fighter and I lost the opportunity."
Belfort mentioned a training injury leading into the fight, and a possible hand injury suffered during the bout, but didn't make any excuses, adding, "I did my best."
- Chael Sonnen Says Jon Jones Is "Next"
- Dana White Calls Spike TV The Worst Channel
- Greg Jackson Was Concerned When Vitor Belfort Locked In The Armbar
- Vladimir Matyushenko Rips Matt Hamill - Roger Hollett Fight
- Cub Swanson Awaits José Aldo Rematch
- UFC Not Happy With How Bellator Handles Contracts
- Dana White Says Georges St-Pierre Is The Top UFC PPV Attraction, Talks Silva Vs. GSP
- Brian Stann Surprised By Decision Loss To Michael Bisping
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline