World-class grappler and former Ultimate Fighter castmember Vinny Magalhaes seemed just poised to break back into the big time when M-1 Global got their claws in him.
After signing with the infamous promoters and competing for them four times, the two entities became embroiled in an ugly contract dispute. Eventually, Magalhaes fought free of his contract, but isn't free from M-1's control just yet. The 27-year-old Brazilian made the mistake of winning their belt and activating the championship clause in his contract, which is -- as he explained on Twitter -- going to see him out of action until at least July since he won't give them the opportunity to re-sign him.
I'd like to clarify for those who are wondering why I haven't been scheduled to fight or haven't been signed by any promotion yet.
I AM done with my contract obligations with M-1 Global, I am a free agent, that means that I'm free to take offers from any promotion, but since I finished my contract as M-1 Light Heavyweight Champion, I had champions clause on my contract, that gave M-1 Global a 60 days "Right to Exclusive negotiation", which was over in March (When I became free agent). Now I'm under the "right-to-match period" which will be over in couple months.
For those who don't know, that means that whatever offer I get from any other promotion, M-1 Global will have the right to match that same offer, and if they do it, I'm 'obligated' to resign with them. So I have decided to NOT take any offer from any other promotion until the right to match period ends, so I can just walk away from M-1 Global, and take whatever offer I choose to, after that period is over without having to worry about the threats that Evgeni Kogan made to me and my manager by email, which was "to match whatever offer I get just to prove a point" (basically saying that he'd want to keep me under contract just to f**k with me, excuse my language).
So with me not taking any offer, there's no offer for him to match, therefore I just have to wait for the right-to-match period to end, so I can sign with whatever promotion that I want to sign without having to deal with bullshit.
That period ends sometime in July, so if you're wondering when I will be fighting again, I can not give you that answer, but In july I should be signed and scheduled to fight somewhere. As soon as I take an offer AFTER that period ends, I will find that out.
Still the M-1 Challenge Light heavyweight Champion of Russia :)
And there you have it: another sterling report on Dana White's favorite co-promoters.
- Video: Alistair Overeem's NSAC Hearing
- Falcao-Spang Winner To Face Alexander Shlemenko For Vacant Title
- Vinny Magalhaes Blames Extended Absence On M-1 Global
- Video: Georges St-Pierre's And His Road Back To The Octagon
- Free From Bellator, Jay Hieron To Try Luck With Legacy FC
- Dana White Calls Overeem Liar, Says Future With UFC Uncertain
- "UFC 145: Jones Vs. Evans" Fighter Salaries
- Keith Kizer Says No Issues Will Come In Chael Sonnen Receiving His Fight License
- Only A Title Shot Would Get Chuck Liddell Out Of Retirement
- Chael Sonnen "Embarassed" For Anderson Silva
- Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Cheick Kongo On Tap For "UFC 149"
- Frank Mir Wants To See Alistair Overeem Receive Another Shot In UFC
- Mark Munoz Vs. Chris Weidman Slated For Main Event Of "UFC On FUEL TV 4"
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.