Probably the most anticipated match-up of the year is set to go down on July 7, as Anderson Silva and Chael Sonnen go to battle at UFC 148. This will be a rematch from their UFC 117 fight, where Sonnen took Silva to his bitter limits, until Silva finally submit Sonnen late in the fifth round to retain his championship.
The UFC held a media conference call on Monday in advance of UFC 148 which will take place next Saturday night (July 7, 2012), at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.
On the call was UFC President Dana White, along with Main Event fighters Anderson Silva and Chael Sonnen. Also on the call were co-main event fighters Tito Ortiz and Forrest Griffin.
Full UFC 148: Silva vs. Sonnen II conference call highlights thanks to MMAmania.com.
- Anderson Silva is a very big star. This is a fight that a lot of people care about all around the world. Anderson is the best mixed martial arts ever. He’s a huge superstar in his home country and he’s a huge superstar here. People want to see him fight and people want to see him fight Chael all over the world.
- People aren’t showing up to hear this guy give speeches. They show up because of what he can do in the Octagon. He could be a deaf fucking mute for Christ’s sake. What he does in the Octagon is amazing.
- There’s no doubt that we expect over 1 million buys here. We expect UFC 100 numbers.
- I’m still working on coaches and info for the next seasons of TUF.
- There were bad words between Rampage and Rashad but what makes this one crazy is I’ve promoted every Anderson Silva fight in history and he usually doesn’t get fired up like this. He’s usually very respectful. He never talks like this.
- It’s unfortunate that these guys were involved in a sport where you’re only as good as your last fight. For Clay Guida, he was a star until the third round of that fight and everyone turned on him and started cheering for Gray. It’s a crazy sport.
- Chael is a criminal. He’s been convicted of crimes. He doesn’t deserve to be in the Octagon. When the time is right, I’m going to break his face and break every one of his teeth in his mouth.
- I don’t live in the past. The things in the past are in museums. Playtime is over. I’m gonna beat Chael like he’s never been beat before. There’s no more talking. I’m going to beat his ass out of the UFC. He’s never gonna want to fight again after I’m done with him.
- It doesn’t matter if I’m on bottom, side or top. It doesn’t matter. What I’m going to do to Chael will change the image of the sport. Chael Sonnen is going to get his ass kicked like never before. I’m going to beat his ass like never before. I’m going to break all his teeth, his arms, his legs. Chael Sonnen will not be able to walk out of the Octagon. I know he’s listening, the game is over. No more shit-talking. It’s on now.
- I’m just gonna make him pay and make him eat everything he said not only about myself but about my country. I’m going to make him regret disrespecting any fighter. I’m going to beat him like his parents should have beat him to teach him manners because he’s disrespectful. I’m not playing anymore.
- In the first time we fought, he stepped out the loser and he’s going to step out this time too. The only difference this time is he’s going to need a plastic surgeon after this fight.
- I don’t do characters. I got serious about this fight a long time ago. I’ve been training combat since I was 9 years old.
- All that happened was Anderson found himself in a fight for the first time. His skills are amateur. If you walk into a fight with your fists down, that’s amateur. I treated him like an amateur the first time and I’ll treat him like an amateur this time.
- The stakes are pretty high on this one. It’s not like I’m trying to score points on the guy, he’s trying to do damage to me.
- I’ve got two words for Anderson Silva: medium rare
- I’m just preparing for the fight of my life. I’ve been waiting 15 years for this to give my last 15 minutes. 3, 4, 5 hours a day. I know how he fights and how he likes to fight. I’m going to try to absorb as much as I can in the next week. I’m gonna show how much this means to me. I’m not gonna play around, talk smack. I’m coming to fight. Being inducted into the Hall of Fame, I’m very thankful to Dana, Tito, Lorenzo for having faith in me and showing that I’ve grown and I’m thankful for the UFC.
- If you look at the history, this fight is interesting. The thing is, this is his final fight. Everything that’s happened recently, the last couple fights haven’t gone the way he’s wanted to and I’m doing the same thing. My goal is to never lose two fights in a row.
Audio thanks to MMA H.E.A.T