UFC heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos was planning to knock out Alistair Overeem at UFC 146 in May. Now, with Frank Mir taking the place of Overeem, the thought process of "Cigano" has not changed.
"I have to change a little bit my camp, but that's it," dos Santos said. "I'm a fighter. I will be looking for the knockout; doesn't matter who my opponent is."
Dos Santos and Mir will meet for the title in the main event of UFC 146 from Las Vegas on May 26. Overeem was removed from the fight after a pre-fight drug test resulted in him having higher-than-normal levels of testosterone.
While Overeem has a hearing in front of the Nevada State Athletic Commission set for this Tuesday, the UFC did not feel comfortable waiting for that time to find out of "The Reem" would be cleared. So, they inserted Mir into the fight with deadlines for tickets and marketing approaching.
Mir was originally scheduled for the card, as the former champion was set to meet Cain Velasquez, also an ex-UFC champ, in a No. 1 contender match. It has not been made public who Velasquez will face, but he is scheduled to remain on the card.
Check out the video below for the entire interview with dos Santos.
- Video: Special UFC Press Conference From Brazil Discussing Anderson Silva-Chael Sonnen
- Anderson Silva Vs. Chael Sonnen Now Main Event Of "UFC 148"
- Unbeaten Prospects Stipe Miocic, Shane Del Rosario To Meet At "UFC 146"
- Roy Nelson Gets Gabriel Gonzaga For Heavyweight Battle At UFC 146
- Video: Bob Sapp Goes Down Again
- Dos Santos Heavy Favorite Over Mir At UFC 146
- UFC 147 Special Announcement Presser Tomorrow
- Silva-Sonnen Rematch May Not Be In Brazil, Announcement Shortly
- Ratings Roundup: UFC 145 Primetime And TUF: Live Episode 7
- "Bellator 66: Aoki Vs. Alvarez" Fighter Salaries
- Video: Wanderlei Silva UFC 147 Video Blog
- "UFC 145: Jones Vs. Evans" Medical Suspensions
- OAC Hands Down Punishment To Andreas Spang For Post-Bellator 66 Fight
- "TUF: Brazil" Episode 5 Recap
- Alistair Overeem Releases Statement On Elevated Levels Of Testosterone
- Video: "UFC 145: Jones Vs. Evans" Fighters Marcus Brimage, Maximo Blanco Have Tumble-Off
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.