UFC president Dana White has informed MMAjunkie.com that Thiago Silva is out of a planned fight with Mauricio "Shogun" Rua at UFC 149 with an injury. White, in the same interview, said the UFC wanted Glover Teixiera to step in for Silva.
"With Thiago hurt, we turned to Glover and asked him to go right back in to fight 'Shogun' at UFC 149," White said. "But 'Shogun's people are adamantly refusing to take the fight."
Teixeira (18-2) won his UFC debut over the weekend by defeating Kyle Kingsbury. Rua (20-6) is returning to action for the first time since a loss to Dan Henderson last year.
Rua's manager, Julio Heller, however, is disputing White's claims, telling Tatame that, "(Turning down Teixeira) it's not true at all. We have to wait for the names they'll offer, and then we'll see what we do."
UFC 149 takes place from Calgary, Alberta, Canada in July on pay-per-view.
- UFC Veteran Jay Hieron Discusses His Role In Martin Kampmann’s Training Camp
- TUF Winner Michael Chiesa Discusses Winning Tournament, Future Plans
- Martin Kampmann Wants Title Shot Or Johny Hendricks Next
- Pros Pick Forrest Griffin Vs. Tito Ortiz 3
- Scott Coker Says Rousey-Cyborg Is Inevitable
- Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker Didn’t Foresee Daniel Cormier’s Ascension
- Blagoi Ivanov Released From Hospital
- Jon Fitch Out Of Planned Bout With Aaron Simpson
- "TUF: The Smashes" Will Feature Welterweights, Lightweights
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.