Stephan Bonnar wanted to shock the world and pull off one of the greatest upsets in MMA history this past weekend. However, Bonnar was unable to do so, suffering a TKO defeat to Anderson Silvain the main event of UFC 153: Silva vs. Bonnar.
Bonnar, a former runner-up on The Ultimate Fighter, was pegged as a 14-to-1 underdog vs. the UFC middleweight champion. He came right out and attacked "The Spider," but was unable to catch him with anything devastating.
"Thanks to everyone for the support, I'm so sorry I lost," Bonnar posted on Twitter as he headed home for the birth of his child. "I feel so bad for letting my fans down, but I promise to make it up to you."
Silva went to work from there, landing a huge knee to the solar plexus of "The American Psycho" and finishing him with strikes. Bonnar went on to reveal that he wasn't injured, but did take several minutes to get movement back after the fight.
Not injured, just caught with a perfect knee to the solar plex and it paralyzed me, was just getting movement back when fight was stopped.— Stephan Bonnar (@StephanBonnar) October 14, 2012
- Daniel Cormier Responds To Jon Jones
- TUF 16 Ratings Hit All-Time Low
- Matt Hughes: "Looks Like I’m Fully Retired"
- Vinny Magalhaes Asks For Phil Davis Bout
- Shane Carwin's Manager Has Doubts About VADA
- Jake Ellenberger Tops Fighter Salaries For UFC On FX 5
- Jake Shields' Win Over Ed Herman Changed To No-Contest Due To Failed Test
- Roy Nelson Offered To Fight Dana White
- Jon Jones Refers To Daniel Cormier As "Relatively Unknown"
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.