Firas Zahabi, the head trainer for UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre, is not in charge of deciding who the top contender to his champion is. However, if Zahabi had a vote, that position would belong to currently-suspended fighter Nick Diaz.
"I think Diaz is the guy who deserves it most," said Zahabi, in a recent interview with MMAjunkie.com. "His fight with Carlos (Condit) was so close. Who knows? People judge it both ways."
Zahabi pointed to the Strikeforce title run Diaz had before joining the UFC, adding, "He climbed the ladder all the way. Johny (Hendricks) deserves it very much, but Diaz has been there longer and done more fights and has bigger wins."
Hendricks made his claim when he knocked out Martin Kampmann earlier this month. Diaz is currently suspended until February due to a failed post-fight drug test following a loss to Condit.
Also, St-Pierre continues to be talked about in regards to a super-fight with UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva. If that fight takes place, it would leave GSP tied up for the better part of 2013.
- Lavar Johnson: "I Don't Really Bark, I Just Bite"
- Dustin Poirier: Nothing's For Sure In MMA 'til The Cage Is Locked
- Dana White To UFC On Fox 5 Fighters: Please, Stay Healthy
- Nick Diaz, Not Johny Hendricks, Is GSP's No. 1 Contender, Says Trainer
- Che Mills-Matt Riddle On Deck For UFC On Fuel TV 7
- Anderson Silva At 170 Pounds? Coach Says It Would Be A "Crime"
- ONE FC And GLORY Strike Deal, Additional DREAM Championship Fight Mentioned
- Lorenz Larkin: Luke Rockhold Signed To Fight
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.