Rich Franklin is set to take on Wanderlei Silva this weekend in a rematch of their 2009 battle. While most of the circumstances heading into the bout are the same as last time, this time around Franklin will be meeting Silva in his home country of Brazil.
Speaking on the UFC 147 conference call, Franklin was asked if he expects to be distracted or at all intimidated by the raucous Brazilian crowd. The 37-year-old veteran explained that he doubts the crowd will have much of an effect on him at all, since it really boils down to another day at the office once the cage door shuts.
"It's like any other fight really," Franklin said. "You know, I'm going in Saturday night and I'm gonna face a tough opponent. Once you get inside the cage it's like being on stage in a parade, with the lights – it's like the whole audience blocks out anyway and the only thing that's in there is you, your opponent and your cornermen and that's about all the stuff you can hear. So, once the fight starts, none of that other stuff will matter."
UFC 147 will take place on Saturday, June 23, from the Mineirinho Stadium in Belo Horizonte, Brazil.
- Gray Maynard Says Emotions Got The Best Of Him
- Wanderlei Silva Feeling Plenty Of Pressure Tonight
- "ONE FC: Destiny Of Warriors" Results: Renato Sobral Earns Main Event Win
- UFC On FX 4 Medical Suspensions
- Dana White Lambasts Clay Guida's Performance
- UFC On FX 4 Fight Night Bonuses
- Gray Maynard Takes Split Decision Victory From Clay Guida
- UFC On FX 4: Gray Maynard Vs. Clay Guida
- UFC On FX 4: Sam Stout Vs. Spencer Fisher
- "Bellator 71" Results: Four Light Heavyweights Move On
- UFC On FX 4: Brian Ebersole Vs. T.J. Waldburger