You can bet Miesha Tate will be back on the main card after her stunning performance in the prelims of Strikeforce: Rousey vs. Kaufman. In a back and forth war with veteran Julie Kedzie, Tate's grappling skills delivered as she submitted her opponent at 3:28 in the third round.
"I worked a lot on my ground game," Tate said. "I felt good when I got that armbar."
Both fighters were on the verge of a finish at every moment of the bout with Kedzie dominating the stand up and Tate threatening on the ground. But in the end, Tate was able to rebound from her defeat to Ronda Rousey to climb back up the Women's Bantamweight division with a crucial victory on Saturday night.
"The eye of the tiger. She's a veteran and has been in this longer than anyone fighting. I really brought it," explained Tate.
From the start of the bell, Kedzie came out guns blazing and was able to floor Tate with a head kick. The "Fireball's" well-timed striking would earn her the first round, before Tate's submission game stifled her in the second. At last, it was Cupcake's determination and will that saved her as she locked up the armbar in the third frame after nearly being finished by another head kick from Kedzie.
The loss is Kedzie's second straight, dropping her to 16-11 while Tate improves to 13-3 with the win.
Records aside, the fight seemed far greater than the two competitors inside the cage. With such skill and heart on display, you can't help but think that performances like this will continue to put Women's MMA on the map. Having Dana White in the audience certainly doesn't hurt either.
- Mark Hominick Knows His Career Is On The Line At UFC 154
- Randy Couture On His Son Following In His Footsteps
- Series Of Interesting Messages From Jason "Mayhem" Miller Posted On Twitter
- XFC 20 Finalized With A Main Event Of Eric Reynolds Vs. Danny Salinas
- Dan Henderson Wants To Leave No Doubt By Winning All Five Rounds Or Knocking Jon Jones Out
- Strikeforce: Rousey Vs. Kaufman Medical Suspensions Handed Down To Many Fighters
- Tito Ortiz Says He Created UFC Light Heavyweight Division’s Weight Limit
- Video: Highlights From Ronda Rousey-Sarah Kaufman Title Fight
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.