If the UFC on FOX card wasn't stacked enough, Dana White announced the winner of Maurício "Shogun" Rua (22-6) and Alexander Gustafsson (14-1) will become the No. 1 contender to the light heavyweight title.
While Rua never directly said where he hoped the fight would go, he hinted that he had been training his jiu-jitsu hard since the announcement was made that the two would meet.
"MMA is a big sport and entitles wrestling, jiu-jitsu, everything," said Rua to MMA Fighting. "I'm ready. I train hard jiu-jitsu and it can be a good way to use Saturday."
Rua was the former champion before the current titleholder Jon Jones (17-1) won the gold at UFC 128. He has since gone 2-1 for the promotion. Gustafsson is 6-1 under the UFC name. He will enter the Octagon on a five fight win streak where all but one Gustafsson ended within two rounds.
"He's a good fighter," said Rua. "I'm the underdog."
UFC on FOX 5 takes place this Saturday from the KeyArena in Seattle, WA. The main card starts at 8 p.m. Eastern Time. Rua vs. Gustafsson will be the co-main event.
- Video: BJ Penn, Rory MacDonald Exchange Verbal Threats
- Jake Shields Calls Out Johny Hendricks, Hendricks Responds
- Miesha Tate Denies Turning Down Fight With Ronda Rousey
- Bellator 83 Weigh-In Results: Featherweight Finals Set
- Johny Hendricks Makes Plea For UFC Welterweight Title Shot
- GSP-Nick Diaz The Likely Next Match, According To Dana White
- Dana White "Happy" UFC On Fox 5 Avoided Any Main Card Injuries
- BJ Penn-Rory MacDonald Ready To Exchange Blows At UFC On Fox 5
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.