Former UFC light heavyweight champion Mauricio "Shogun" Rua bruised and battered Brandon Vera for three rounds. In the fourth, Rua finished him off, dropping Vera and scoring a TKO victory at UFC on Fox: Shogun Vs. Vera.
"I didn't give my best," Rua said. "I will in the future. The most important thing was the victory. I respect Brandon, it was an excellent fight; let's see what happens next."
Rua was hoping to secure himself a future UFC light heavyweight title shot. Earlier in the night, Lyoto Machida knocked out Ryan Bader with a devastating punch.
Vera (12-6) gave Rua everything he could handle, but is now just 1-3 with one no-contest in his last five fights.
Rua (21-6) is 2-2 in his last four. He was defeated by Dan Henderson late in 2011.
- Dana White Details Rory MacDonald's Injury That Put Him Out Of BJ Penn Fight
- Prado Ready For Next Fight After Davis’ Poke To The Eye Stops His UFC Debut Early
- UFC President Feels MMA Qualifies As An Olympic Sport
- Dana White Talks The Possibility Of A One Handed Fighter Joining The UFC
- Dana White Ecstatic With All The Fights At UFC On FOX 4
- Rua Okay With No Championship Shot For His Next Fight
- Lauzon Avoids Varner’s Overhand Right To Secure Submission Victory
- The Dragon Is Back As Machida Earns Championship Shot
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.