Former Ultimate Fighter competitor Matt Mitrione will return to the Octagon this December against a British heavyweight, but it won't be Rob Broughton. Instead, UFC officials confirmed on Friday that Mitrione will face Phil DeFries at UFC 155.
UFC 155 is set for December 29. The main event is expected to feature UFC heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos defending his title against Cain Velasquez. Mitrione-DeFries will likely be added to the prelims.
Mitrione (5-1) will be attempting to rebound from his first career loss, as he dropped a decision to Cheick Kongo last October. He was set to face Broughton earlier this year, but Broughton was forced out with a family issue.
DeFries (9-1) scored a submission victory earlier this year over Oli Thompson. He is 2-1 in his UFC career, including a win over Broughton.
- Video: Weigh-Ins For ONE FC 5: Pride Of A Nation
- Anderson Silva: "A Lot Of People Thought I Was Gay" Growing Up
- Official Numbers Come In For UFC 150: Henderson Vs. Edgar II
- TUF Winner Michael Chiesa Returns To Action Vs. Rafaello Oliveira This December
- Joseph Benavidez Plans To Exploit Demetrious Johnson’s Weak Spot
- Thales Leites Responds To Anderson Silva's Recent Remarks
- Eddie Yagin-Dennis Siver Finds Home At UFC On Fox 5
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.