With one fight left on his Bellator contract, Luis Sapo's (54-8) request to be granted an early release went through with no problems. Sapo now looks towards joining the UFC.
"I had a five fight [contract]," said Sapo to TATAME. "One was missing and I asked not to extend more and they released me. I'm waiting for my manager who is finalizing negotiations with the UFC. We are working hard on it. "
Before entering Bellator, Sapo was on an eight fight win streak with one of those coming out of Bellator. He then fought to a draw outside of the promotion and returned in late 2011 where he lost two by stoppage. This year, Sapo has only fought once. All of this Sapo knows will play a factor when the UFC looks to sign him.
"This year was not very good for me," said Sapo. "I keep working because I know I'm fully capable of being in the UFC, fighting with the best in the class."
It is not unknown if the UFC has interest in signing Sapo.
- Magnus Cedenblad-Rafael Natal On For UFC On Fox 6
- Sara McMann Not Seeing Ronda Rousey Fight In The Near Future
- MMA Side Of GLORY - Dream Card Continues To Grow
- One Handed Nick Newell Ready For Title Run
- Nate Diaz Feels It's His Turn To Be UFC Champion
- Shogun Rua Discusses Turning Down Jon Jones Title Fight
- Mike Chiesa Signs With First Round Management
- Benson Henderson Focused On "W" Vs. Nate Diaz At UFC On Fox 5
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.