Jussier Formiga will make his UFC debut this Friday night at UFC On FX: Browne vs. Bigfoot against John Dodson. The bout is an important one for several reasons, as it will also determine the first contender to Demetrious Johnson and the UFC flyweight title.
Formiga, 27 years old, holds a 14-1 record in his career. His lone loss came to Ian McCall, and he has earned four consecutive submissions - all by choke.
"I've been waiting for this chance to fight in the UFC for years," Formiga said. "Finally, there is a flyweight division so I can showcase my skills. I am looking forward to the whole UFC experience. I can't wait to show the UFC what I can do."
Formiga has been ranked the No. 1 flyweight in the world previously, and will be facing a former winner of The Ultimate Fighter in Dodson.
"I know Dodson is a powerful striker and is very fast, but I am a (Brazilian jiu-jitsu) and judo black belt, and am looking forward to the fight," Formiga said.
- TUF Not In "Make-Or-Break" Year According To Dana White
- Clay Guida Adamant He Defeated Gray Maynard
- Shane Carwin, Roy Nelson Official For TUF 16 Finale
- Fine, Suspension For Forrest Griffin Followed Positive Drug Test
- Dana White Laughs Off Bobby Lashley As Daniel Cormier's Opponent
- UFC On Fuel TV 5 Replay Draws Better Ratings Than Original Broadcast
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.