Josh Thomson made mention of a possible fourth encounter with Strikeforce lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez recently. Well, Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker shot down talks of such a match Saturday night after Strikeforce: Rockhold Vs. Kennedy.
"That fight is not going to happen," Coker said (thanks to MMAjunkie.com for the quote). "I know Josh, and he's an interesting character sometimes. Good guy, but that fight is not going to be offered to Josh."
Instead, it appears as if Pat Healy could be placed in the top contender spot to "El Nino." Healy earned his sixth Strikeforce victory over the weekend, defeating Mizuto Hirota in his hometown.
Melendez (21-2) successfully defended the belt against Thomson (19-5) earlier this year. Healy is 28-16 in his MMA career.
- Report: Ulysses Gomez To Sign With UFC, Face Jussier Da Silva
- Glover Teixeira Not Backing Down From Quinton "Rampage" Jackson
- Jon Jones Preparing Well For Dan Henderson's Deadly "H-Bomb"
- Bellator Returning To New Jersey For Bellator 74
- Change In Opponent Doesn't Concern Tim Boetsch
- Luke Rockhold Wants His Shot At Anderson Silva
- Urijah Faber Says Bout With Renan Barao Is "Personal"
- Nate Marquardt: "I Feel Like I'm The Best In The World"
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.