The UFC held a press conference yesterday to officially announced Jose Aldo vs. Erik Koch as the main event of the upcoming UFC 149 fight card, which will be the promotion's first to air in Calgary, Canada.
Before it was revealed that Aldo would be making his next title defense against Koch, there was much speculation as to who the Brazilian dynamo would face next. Though he's a proven threat at 145, Koch's name was not at the top of many pundits' lists. But, the UFC pegged him as a worth challenger and the champion agrees.
"He thinks that it was actually a well deserved nomination," Aldo's translator said at today's presser. "Erik has a good rank. He wasn't actually so surprised. Even though there was some other interesting names, he's up for the challenge.
"He thinks it's fair that he will now be going up for the title because he's been coming through a long run of several fights previously with the WEC."
For Koch, a 23-year-old with fourteen pro fights to his credit, getting the opportunity to face Aldo was a dream come true. Though young, the Roufusport product is smart enough to know he's facing a challenge that's not to be taken lightly.
"First of all, I'll say, when I found out I got the fight -- I mean, I've been trying to get the fight just because it's for the title; this is my dream and I've been trying to get it for awhile -- when I got the call, I'll tell you, I literally went into my living room, got down to my knees and screamed at the top of my lungs," Koch related. "It's awesome.
"This is 23 years in the making. I've been doing this since I was a little kid. Just to be here and to get a chance, especially against such a dominant champion -- who is just an awesome champion -- it's an awesome test and it's an awesome challenge. I'm just really excited."
UFC 149 is scheduled for 21 at the Scotiabank Saddledome in Calgary.
- Jon Jones Vs. Dan Henderson For UFC Light Heavyweight Title Going Down September 1
- Video: Jeremy Stephens' Latest UFC On Fuel TV 3 Vlog
- Joe Lauzon Vs. Terry Etim At UFC On Fox 4
- Bellator Inks Wrestling Standout Shanon Slack
- Two Heavyweight Bouts Added To UFC On Fox 4
- Jose Aldo Up For The Challenge Posed By An "Excited" Erik Koch
- "UFC 149: Aldo Vs. Koch" Announcement Presser Notes And Quotes
- Video: UFC 149 Press Conference
- Video: Hector Lombard Appears On "UFC Tonight" To Talk Brian Stann Fight
- Ex-UFC Fighter Chris Lytle Not Voted Into Indiana Senate
- Benson Henderson's First Title Defense Set For UFC 150 Against Frankie Edgar
- Urijah Faber To Compete For UFC Interim Bantamweight Title
- Nephew Of Anderson Silva To Compete Saturday At "Lion Fight Muay Thai VI"
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.