UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones would accept a coaching position on The Ultimate Fighter if the UFC asked. However, Jones has no interest in doing the reality show with Daniel Cormier, who has offered his services for it in recent interviews.
Jones, who is fresh off a fourth successful title defense vs. Vitor Belfort, is currently in the dark as far as his next fight goes. Names like Chael Sonnen, Dan Henderson and Lyoto Machida have been floated around, along with a super-fight against Anderson Silva.
"I'd be interested in a TUF season in the future, but it'd take the right opponent," said Jones, in an interview with ESPN recently. "As far as Daniel Cormier saying he wants to coach against me; he would want that, wouldn't he? He's a relatively unknown. I want to do it when the fans are aware of both guys and when it's spunky and when it raises a lot of viewers. I'm not here to raise his stock."
From Jones' comments, it seems he might be talking about a potential TUF rivalry with Sonnen. Placing those two on the show would definitely create a ratings and interest buzz for the program.
Update: Jones will coach against Sonnen on TUF 17.
- Daniel Cormier Responds To Jon Jones
- TUF 16 Ratings Hit All-Time Low
- Matt Hughes: "Looks Like I’m Fully Retired"
- Vinny Magalhaes Asks For Phil Davis Bout
- Shane Carwin's Manager Has Doubts About VADA
- Jake Ellenberger Tops Fighter Salaries For UFC On FX 5
- Jake Shields' Win Over Ed Herman Changed To No-Contest Due To Failed Test
- Roy Nelson Offered To Fight Dana White
- Jon Jones Refers To Daniel Cormier As "Relatively Unknown"
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.