Johny Hendricks believes he will become the No. 1 contender in the welterweight division after he defeats Martin Kampmann in the co-main event of UFC 154: St-Pierre vs. Condit. "Big Rig" has one thing going for him that others did not when they were preparing for Kampmann.
"In the past, Kampmann's opponents have overlooked him when he gets into the Octagon," said Hendricks, in an interview with Bleacher Report. "They do very well against him in the first round, but the first round doesn't mean anything. You see it time and time again. He gets beat up a bit in the first round and his opponent will get over-confident. Next thing you know, Kampmann is getting his hand raised. That's one thing he does very well."
"Nothing is ever given to you and you have to earn everything," Hendricks said. "That is the way I was raised. I want to go out there and earn it."
- Video: UFC Offers Up 'Thank You' To Fans
- Chael Sonnen Favors Brian Stann Over Michael Bisping
- Tito Ortiz Discusses Jon Jones-Vitor Belfort Bout
- Fuel TV Running Special Viewer's Choice Week For UFC
- Ratings Come In For TUF 16: Carwin Vs. Nelson
- Inaugural ONE FC Lightweight Championship Fight Announced
- Brian Stann - No Doubt In His Mind He's Being Overlooked
- Sarah Kaufman Out Of Invicta FC Debut
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline