Shields (27-6) decided it was time to go back to 185 pounds from welterweight after a victory over Yoshihiro Akiyama. He has gone 2-2 in his four UFC fights.
"Everything is going really good. I'm in the early fight prep," said Shields, in a recent interview with US Combat Sports. "I am trying to bulk up, because I am moving up a weight class. I am a vegetarian, and mostly vegan; I am not strict on the vegan, but I try to eat a mostly vegan diet."
Shields defeated Martin Kampmann via decision in his Octagon debut, securing his shot at UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre. GSP defeated him, as did Jake Ellenberger in his next bout. The loss to Ellenberger came just weeks after his father passed away.
- Report: Jon Fitch, Erick Silva Added To UFC 153
- John Dodson Vs. Jussier Da Silva At UFC On FX 5
- UFC Prepping Alexander Gustafsson For Major Fight
- Lyoto Machida Not Concerned With Decision To Make Rua-Vera No. 1 Contender Match
- Patricky Pitbull To Face Eddie Alvarez This October In Bellator
- Ryan Bader Feels Like He Is In The Thick Of Light Heavyweight Title Talk
- Jon Jones Responds To News Of Rua-Vera Becoming No. 1 Contender Match
- High Stakes Added To UFC On Fox: Shogun Vs. Vera Main Event
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline