Frank Mir will take the role of company man and head down to Strikeforce, facing Daniel Cormier later this year in the final heavyweight fight for the promotion. USA Today confirmed news of the impending fight, with it moving from this September to either October or November.
The fight is expected to be a five-round affair, though it remains unknown if Cormier's Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix title will be on the line. Mir's agent, Malki Kawa, posted for his fighter via Twitter late Wednesday night.
"(Mir asked me to post) that he's very excited about this opportunity and is very grateful to the UFC for making this fight happen," wrote Kawa, who also made mention of the bout being a title fight.
"There has been a lot of speculation as to who Cormier would fight next, and this is the fight that makes the most sense," White said. "The reality is, Cormier is one of the best heavyweights in the world. He just won the grand prix and beat Josh Barnett. He needs to fight opponents of that caliber, and Frank Mir is that guy."
Mir was recently defeated by UFC heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos. The Cormier-Mir fight will take place on Showtime.
Javier Mendez, the head trainer for Cormier at AKA in San Jose, wrote on Twitter, "(Cormier) is excitd about the challenge! Go big or go home is his style!"
Follow FightLine.com on Twitter by clicking the "Follow" button below:
- Frank Mir To Face Daniel Cormier In Strikeforce Later This Year
- Mike Swick Vs. DaMarques Johnson Added To UFC On Fox 4 Main Card
- Next Light Heavyweight Contender Could Be Determined At UFC On Fox 4
- UFC Makes Alan Belcher-Vitor Belfort Official For UFC 153
- Firas Zahabi Says GSP Still Interested In Fighting Nick Diaz
- Ryan Bader's Only Job Vs. Lyoto Machida Is To Win
- Dustin Pague Vs. Chico Camus Planned For August's UFC 150
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.