With Azamat Gashimov having withdrawn from his UFC on FUEL TV 3 bantamweight tilt against Alex Soto, the door was opened for Francisco Rivera to get a second shot in the UFC.
Sherdog reports that Rivera has pulled out of his own scheduled match (against Alexander Crispim at Tachi Palace Fights 13 on May 10) to step up and take on Soto later this month.
Rivera (7-2) made his UFC debut in June of last year at The Ultimate Fighter 13 Finale, losing to Reuben Duran by third-round rear naked choke. That defeat followed a quick TKO to Erik Koch in the WEC and resulted in his release from the UFC. Rivera's gone on a two-fight run since, earning two first-round knockout wins.
Alex Soto's (6-1-1) current claim to fame is being one-half of the surging Michael McDonald's two-fight knockout streak. Soto made his UFC debut against McDonald at UFC 139 last November and ended up unconscious before the one minute mark.
UFC on FUEL TV 3: Korean Zombie vs. Poirier goes down on May 15 from the Patriot Center in Fairfax, Virginia.
- Video: Daniel Cormier, 'I Am A Fighter'
- Ryan Jimmo Vs. Anthony Perosh On For UFC 149
- Video: Wanderlei Silva's UFC 147 Vlog, Episode 2
- 'UFC Primetime' Back On FX For UFC 146
- Dana White: Nate Diaz, Not Jim Miller, Up For Title Shot
- UFC Donates UFC 149 Prize Package To Canadian Children's Charity
- "The Ultimate Fighter: Live" Not Leaving Friday Nights, Says FX Executive
- "Ultimate Fighter" Winner Ross Pearson Arrested On Suspicion Of DUI
- Roy Nelson, Edson Barboza Given New Fights For "UFC 146"
- Video: Dana White's UFC On FOX 3 Vlog, Episode Two
- Jon Jones Just Wants Hendo To Keep It Classy
- Video: Quick UFC 146 Promo
- Francisco Rivera Steps In To Face Alex Soto At UFC On FUEL TV 3
- Nevada Responds To Nick Diaz's Lawsuit
- Video: Age And Experience Will Overcome Youth And Preparation
- UFC 148 Tickets On Sale This Week
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.