Dustin Poirier suffered just the second loss of his professional career two nights ago in a barnburner against Chan Sung Jung, The Korean Zombie.
The two featherweights did battle at the top of the UFC on Fuel TV 3 fight card, with Jung controlling most of the action en route to a fourth-round submission victory. An emotional Poirier spoke with Ariel Helwani following his fight for the FUEL TV post-fight show. He was unable to hide his bitter disappointment at the loss.
"He was just as tough as I expected. I expected a good fight. I'm just upset with myself," said the 23-year-old. "When it got to those later rounds, he hit me with some good shots -- I think in the fourth round -- I never was completely out of it, but whenever I came back to realizing what was going on, I could've sat out, I was in the D'Arce position and I felt it, but I just didn't defend it right. I feel like I let myself down and I'm upset about that.
"I had a really long training camp, man," he continued. "I put one hundred percent of myself into the training camp. I'm trying not to get emotional, I just care so much, man, I let myself down. I deserved to win and my wife deserved for us to win."
Poirier explained that his loss wasn't the result of fighting in the main event for the first time, or from the possibility of getting a title shot with the victory. He just lost the fight, but whatever technical mistakes he made to do so, he vows to correct before he returns.
"It wasn't even the pressure, you know, I felt fine," he said. "I was excited to be in the main event, it was a huge opportunity for me. I wasn't really worried about the five rounds, my strength and conditioning program was incredible; I felt like I was in the best shape ever. I just took some bad shots, you know, and made some mistakes. I'm gonna go back to the gym and work on it. Come back and get the W, man."
- Struve And Johnson Talk Short Notice Opponent Switch
- Mark Hunt Injured, Replaced At UFC 146 By Lavar Johnson
- Erick Silva Confident He Will KO Brenneman
- UFC On FUEL TV 3 Ratings Continue To Drop
- UFC On FUEL TV 3 Fighter Salaries
- B.J. Penn Declines Bout With Josh Koscheck
- Bellator 69 Weigh-In Results; Falcao Over By Two Pounds
- 'UFC 146: Dos Santos Vs. Mir' Conference Call Notes And Quotes
- Video: Cain Velasquez Part Of Team AKA Fighter Diary
- Anthony Pettis Not A Likely Candidate For Donald Cerrone At UFC 150
- Josh Koscheck Wants BJ Penn Fight, But Does Penn?
- Korean Zombie On Last Night's Big Win: I Made A Statement
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.