The combined GLORY and DREAM show is beginning to take shape with several fighters named. The dual show will be titled DREAM 18 - GLORY 4 NYE Special 2012 and feature MMA fights and a 16 person kickboxing tournament.
Phil Baroni (15-5) vs. Hayato Sakurai (36-12-2) is the only MMA fight announced. Other names slated to appear include Tatsuya Kawajiri (31-7-2), Satoru Kitaoka (30-11-9), Shinya Aoki (31-6-1 NC) and Will Brooks (7-0). Hiroyuki Takaya (17-9-1) will defend his DREAM featherweight championship against an unknown opponent.
A win for Baroni will give him his first win streak since 2008. He took home a win over the summer for ONE FC. Sakurai hasn't fought since last New Year's Eve when he scored a decision win.
Takaya won the title in 2010 and has since defended it twice.
The GLORY side of the event will host a 16 man heavyweight kickboxing tournament. Some of the top names include Semmy Schilt, Remy Bonjasky, Gokhan Saki, Daniel Ghita and Peter Aerts. The winner of the tournament will receive $400,000.
The combined show takes place December 31 from the Saitama Super Arena in Japan. After the show, it's not known if the two promotions will continue to work together. Glory recently said they plan to explore other countries in the following year, including the U.S.
- Lavar Johnson: "I Don't Really Bark, I Just Bite"
- Dustin Poirier: Nothing's For Sure In MMA 'til The Cage Is Locked
- Dana White To UFC On Fox 5 Fighters: Please, Stay Healthy
- Nick Diaz, Not Johny Hendricks, Is GSP's No. 1 Contender, Says Trainer
- Che Mills-Matt Riddle On Deck For UFC On Fuel TV 7
- Anderson Silva At 170 Pounds? Coach Says It Would Be A "Crime"
- ONE FC And GLORY Strike Deal, Additional DREAM Championship Fight Mentioned
- Lorenz Larkin: Luke Rockhold Signed To Fight
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.