"Rory MacDonald is out," said Dana White. "He got cut wide-open today. He got 38-48 stitches today [August 4] and has no contact for a month. The fight's off."
According to White, he sustained the injury during training and the injury is right above the eyebrow.
White found out about the injury halfway through the UFC on Fox 4 show, just as Maurício Rua was walking out to the Octagon.
Penn vs. MacDonald was set to take place at UFC 152 on September 22.
No information was given as to whether Penn will fight a replacement fighter on the card, or if a possible future date for the fight will be set.
- Nate Diaz Inks New Deal With UFC
- Roy Nelson Tweets "The Juice Is Good" In Regards To Using TRT
- Dana White Fine With TRT, As Long As It's Used Properly
- Video: Another Teaser For All-Access Ronda Rousey
- Seth Petruzelli To Compete At K-1 Rising
- Lightweights Bobby Green, Matt Ricehouse Placed On Strikeforce: Rousey Vs. Kaufman
- Dan Henderson Thinks Lyoto Machida’s Style Contains A Flaw
- Henderson Feels Age Is Not A Factor In His Upcoming Fight Against Jones
- Antonio Rogerio Nogueira Willing To Coach TUF: Brazil Vs. Shogun Rua
- Frank Mir Gave No Second-Thought To Facing Daniel Cormier
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.