Contract negotiations for Eddie Alvarez (24-3) appear to be headed in a nasty way. At the pre-fight UFC 155 media scrum, UFC president Dana White wouldn't say much though it seems that signing the free agent won't be easy.
"I just don't know if I can talk about it," said White. "It's going to get ugly."
Earlier in the month, Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney said the UFC had offered Alvarez a contract. Bellator waved their 90 day negotiating period and hope to have an answer by the first week of 2013 if they plan to match the UFC's offer.
Alvarez is a former lightweight champion for Bellator, where was 8-1 while there. In his last two fights, Alvarez took home first round knockout wins.
White, who is often vocal when he wants to bring one into the UFC, was mum on Alvarez's status.
"If I could talk about it, I would," said White. "I think it's going to get ugly."
- Mark Munoz Involved In Car Accident, Appears To Have Avoided Any Serious Injuries
- Antonio Silva Only Fighting Junior Dos Santos If UFC Forces Him To
- Glover Teixeira Plans To KO Quinton Jackson Out Of The UFC
- Video: Backstage Access To UFC 155
- Jon Jones Responds To Dan Henderson: "Old Guy Got Jokes"
- Nate Marquardt Glad To Put Old Issues With Dana White Behind Him
- Pat Healy Frustrated With UFC’s Decision Making About Strikeforce Fighters
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.