Sonnen, who is set to face Forrest Griffin in December, believes Vitor Belfort will pull out of the planned main event with UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones. The former UFC middleweight contender doesn't want to be ill-prepared when that happens, so he is putting himself through the ringer as if he was scheduled to fight.
"Chael Sonnen is in a full training camp right now," UFC president Dana White told MMAjunkie.com recently. "He's been training since he got offered the Jones fight (for UFC 151). He said, 'I'm in full camp right now because Vitor will get hurt and pull out, and it will be Jones vs. Sonnen, anyway."
UFC 152: Jones vs. Belfort takes place September 22 from Toronto's Air Canada Centre. Jones declined a short-notice fight with Sonnen for September 1, citing not enough time to prepare for a change in opponents from Dan Henderson to Sonnen.
- Fans Will See A Reborn Chris Leben In UFC Return
- Jon Fitch Thinks Championship Fights Are Given Out To The UFC's Favorites
- UFC 140 Taught Walel Watson A Lesson The Hard Way
- Krzysztof Soszynski-Ednaldo Oliveira Set For UFC On FX: Lombard Vs. Palhares
- TUF: India Is Groundbreaking For MMA Says Lorenzo Fertitta
- Georges St-Pierre: Same Division, New Faces
- Curtis Brigham Returns After Eight Year Layoff
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline