Chael Sonnen knows that he isn't likely to receive a third opportunity at securing the UFC middleweight title from the waist of Anderson Silva. However, Wednesday night, Sonnen believes he saw the next man ready to challenge Silva in Chris Weidman.
Weidman dominated Mark Munoz, who many considered the third-ranked middleweight in the world, scoring a second round TKO victory in the main event of UFC on Fuel TV: Munoz vs. Weidman.
"There is no way to deny what we just saw; Weidman was on a roll," said Sonnen, during the post-fight show on FUEL TV. "Now he is playing with the big boys. Now he is in the main event. The test was passed with flying colors. Chris Weidman, present company included, you are the best middleweight in the UFC."
Nice to see Sonnen still get a shot off at Silva while giving Weidman credit. There is no doubt that "The All-American" has positioned himself nicely after winning his first five UFC fights. He did call for Silva during the post-fight interview, but it remains to be seen if that will be his next fight or not.
- UFC On FUEL TV: Munoz Vs. Weidman Medical Suspensions Feature Munoz, Te Huna
- UFC On FUEL TV 4 Fighter Salaries Released; Aaron Simpson Atop The Charts
- Michael Bisping Unimpressed By Chris Weidman's Performance
- UFC On FUEL TV: Munoz Vs. Weidman Finishes Second Among All FUEL Events
- Dana White Calls UFC 149 "Craziest Card Of All Time" In Terms Of Injuries
- Video: Dana White Offers Up His Take On Everything From Weidman To TUF: The Smashes
- UFC Improves Upon Written Drug Policy
- Georges St-Pierre To Work Boxing Next Week With Freddie Roach
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.