Alan Belcher thought four words when a doctor told him earlier this year that he had a spinal fracture.
"I couldn't believe it," said Belcher, in a recent interview with Fighters.com.
Belcher has recovered from the crack in the spinous process at the base of his back well enough to face Yushin Okami in a key middleweight contest in December at UFC 155: Dos Santos vs. Velasquez II. The two met in 2006, with Okami claiming a decision victory in the UFC debut for "The Talent." Since that time, Belcher has battled several injuries to put himself on a four-fight win streak.
With the UFC middleweight Top-10 an unknown right now, Belcher understands the importance of picking up his 19th career victory next month over "Thunder."
"This time around, it's going to be a lot different," Belcher said. "Nothing will slow me down. I came back from the eye problem. A lot of people thought my career was over, but I made the choice to start fighting again. I came back from that - I can come back from anything."
- Lorenz Larkin's Manager Not Happy With Luke Rockhold
- Invicta FC 4 Card Released: Strawweight Champion To Be Crowned
- MFC To Crown New Lightweight Champion
- Rory MacDonald Has Future Encounter With Carlos Condit On His Mind
- Luke Rockhold Still Injured, Off January Strikeforce Card
- Dana White Disappointed About Strikeforce
- Johny Hendricks Has No Doubt Who He Wants Next
- X-Gym Trainer Knows Jon Jones' Weakness
- UFC Took Care Of Fabio Maldonado For Accepting Glover Teixeira Fight
Get more great MMA news and analysis over at Fightline.