A second sinkhole has been discovered just four miles away from the one that opened up last week and swallowed Florida man, Jeff Bush.
Last Thursday, Bush, 37, fell into a sinkhole that opened up under his bedroom. His body has not been recovered, but he is presumed dead.
Hillsborough County spokesman Willie Puz said the latest sinkhole opened between two homes and was about 12-feet round, three feet deep around the edge and about five feet deep in the center, Authorities do not think that this new sinkhole is related to the one that presumably killed Bush, reports the Chicago Tribune. "It is not geologically connected," Puz said.
The sinkhole that swallowed Bush was about 30 feet wide and 60 feet deep and filled with clay and debris. The house that Bush was in at the time of his death, which is owned by his fiancée, is being demolished. After the demolition is complete, efforts to stabilize the deadly sinkhole will begin.
As the sinkhole continued to expand, engineers used listening devices, microphones, ground-penetrating radar and other equipment to try and detect a sign of life from Bush. They were unable to get any such sign.
Two nearby houses have also been evacuated. It is unlikely that their residents will ever be able to return to them, said Jessica Damico of Hillsborough County Fire Rescue.
Sinkholes in Florida are caused by the state's porous geological bedrock, according to the Florida Department of Environmental Protection. As rainwater seeps into the ground, it dissolves the rock that is embedded underneath the surface. As the rock erodes, underground caverns can be created. When those caverns cave in, they cause sinkholes on the surface.
The latest sinkhole did not cause any injuries or structural damage to the homes around it.
Source: (Chicago Tribune)