A Dominican man died after drinking an entire bottle of tequila as the result of a dare that won him $630 (video below).
Kelvin Rafael Mejia, 23, drank the alcohol after a friend bet him to do it for a $630 reward. In a clip of the incident, Mejia can be seen drinking tequila straight from the bottle and finishing the entire thing. After he finishes the bottle, Mejia is handed a stack of cash. Suddenly, though, he faints and loses consciousness.
Meija was rushed to the hospital after the incident, where he died from alcohol intoxication, the Daily Mail reports.
Many readers criticized the man for making such a fatal mistake and drinking so much alcohol. Others, however, defended him and criticized those who blasted his choices.
“A lot of comments here saying how stupid he was, and yes it's true, he was stupid," one Daily Mail reader commented. "BUT, he paid the ultimate price, for either being stupid and going along with it or simply not knowing the consequences. Nasty comments are not going to raise awareness and they certainly won't do anything for his loved ones left behind."
In a similar incident in Omaha, Nebraska, authorities launched an investigation into the death of a man who passed away shortly after arriving at an alcohol treatment facility.
Police were dispatched to a home in Omaha on Feb. 12, for a welfare check on 31-year-old Charles Switch. When police made contact, Switch appeared to be intoxicated because he slurred his speech and smelled like alcohol, KPTM reports.
“It is the policy of the Omaha Police Department to use civil protective custody to preserve life and prevent injury to intoxicated person(s),” the Omaha Police department said in a statement. “Persons who are taken into civil protective custody by Omaha Police Officers will be transported to the Campus for Hope Alcohol Treatment Center and detained for a period of no longer than 24 hours or until the person’s blood alcohol content is 0.01 or below.”
Authorities took Switch to a treatment facility on a civil protective custody hold for detox. When he arrived, his blood alcohol level was .297.
Once police left, the staff brought him to a room and soon visited for a routine check. It was then staff noticed he was having a medical emergency. Medics quickly arrived and transported Switch to a nearby hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
An investigation into Switch’s death is ongoing.