Teen Dies After Ingesting Poison He Thought Was Cocaine

| by Lisa Fogarty

A 16-year-old died on Tuesday morning in Anderson, California, after he and two of his friends accidentally ingested poison, believing it was cocaine, reports Action News Now.

The three – including another 16-year-old and a 13-year-old – were reportedly sent to the hospital on Friday after they ingested a white powdery substance when they returned home from school. Officials from the Anderson Police Department say the substance turned out to be a “lethal poison or arsenic of some type,” according to KRCR News.

One of the teens died and the others are still feeling the effects of the poison, according to police.  Their names have not been released and it is not yet known how they got their hands on the substance.

“This horrific event could just as easily be any one of our young teens in Shasta County,” said Anderson Police Chief Michael Johnson in a press release. “I urge you to tell this story to your children and family members. Drugs are unsafe and purchasing/using substances that are exchanged on the street is a gamble that can have life ending consequences.”

Anyone with information about this incident is asked to call Anderson police at 530-378-6600. Police are continuing to investigate this tragedy.

Sources: Action News Now, KRCR News

Photo Credit: Nightlife of Revelry/Flickr, Valerie Everett/Flickr