Surveillance Footage Shows Police Stand-Off With Slain 107-Year-Old Monroe Isadore

| by Allison Geller

Seven months ago, the Pine Bluff, Arizona, police shot and killed 107-year-old Monroe Isadore in his home. His family contends that the death was not necessary, and that video footage just released by local police proves it.

Attorney Benjamin Crump is joining local council in representing Isadore’s family at a trial this week. Crump has shown community members video footage (below) of the stand-off that led to the old man’s death, telling them how police could have avoiding shooting him.

“This video certainly shows a lot of vivid details of the final moments of Monroe Isadore's life and whether or not the Pine Bluff police department could have used less intrusive measures than to kill a 107-year-old man in the bed," Crump said of the video, screened at a conference room in the Plaza hotel at a town hall meeting.

Police had responded to a domestic disturbance call when they entered Isadore’s home and announced themselves. The man reportedly fired shots through the closed door of his bedroom. The police, none of whom were struck, called for backup. SWAT team members arrived and inserted a camera into Isadore’s room to confirm that he had a handgun as they allegedly tried to negotiate with him.

The surveillance video from September 2013 shows Isadore in bed. The old man shoots at police after they throw tear gas in the room. There is then a flash—a distracting device the cops have thrown in. Then, smoke fills the room and police push through the door. At that point, the clip is cut off, but what happened after is clear.

Isadoe’s family says they still haven’t had an explanation from the police.

"I am still as of this day, April 1st 2014, waiting for someone from the Pine Bluff Police Department to call me," said Marilyn Howard, Isadore's oldest daughter. 

A special prosecutor investigated the police department and chose not to file charges, finding that the officers acted within department policy.

Pine Bluff Police Chief Jeff Hubanks acknowledges that the old man was confused, but says that since he fired first, the police were compelled to act.

“Once the door was opened, that barricaded door was opened, he had the option to put the gun down. If he did, he would be alive now," Hubanks said.

But the family’s lawyers say that the fatal shot was not necessarily and that they will continue to fight with the family for justice.

"Something will be done in order to seek vindication of his death," said local attorney John Walker.

Sources: Huffington Post, Fox 16, KTHV