Contrary to earlier reports, law enforcement officials say no suspect has been arrested in the Boston Marathon Bombings.
At 1:40 p.m. today, CNN reported that a suspect had been identified and that an arrest was imminent.
“Authorities may have had a breakthrough in the investigation of Monday's Boston Marathon bombings,” the report said. “The breakthrough came from analysis of video from a department store near the site of the second explosion. Video from a Boston television station also contributed to the progress, said the source, who declined to be more specific but called it a significant development.”
Video of the report can be seen below
The Associated Press and Fox News both corroborated CNN’s errant story by reporting and tweeting the same information.
Soon after, CBS reported that the story was false. “BREAKING NEWS,” a CBS tweet said. “CBS News has learned that NO ARREST has been made in Boston Marathon Bombing Case.”
In response, CNN reported that an arrest had now been made.
“An arrest has been made in the Boston bombings investigation based on two videos showing images of the suspect, a federal law enforcement source told CNN’s Fran Townsend,” the network said.
Fox News then posted the same story, saying “Investigators have arrested a suspect in the Boston Marathon bombing after reviewing photos and video from Monday’s event, a federal source confirmed to FoxNews.com.”
Both networks were again wrong. At 2:33 p.m., the Boston Police Department posted a tweet saying “Despite reports to the contrary there has not been an arrest in the Marathon attack.”
CNN, Fox, and the AP have since renounced their reports. Law enforcement officials say they are no suspects at this time, and the investigation is on-going.