A family dog who lunged at a child surprised the boy's parents by saving him from a venomous snake.
The Holloway family's dog, Shiloh, was bitten by a copperhead snake in Sevierville, Tennessee, trying to save their 18-month-old son, Bryson.
"It dawned on me that he literally grabbed that snake from the feet near the babies foot," said Bryan Holloway, the boy's father.
Bryson had attempted to step off the porch while the whole family was relaxing outside their house. Little did the family know, there was a deadly snake waiting for Bryson as soon as he left the porch.
As luck would have it, Shiloh noticed the dangerous reptile before any harm could be done, reports WVLT.
"Shiloh jumped up and took off after him," said Bryan. "He lunged right towards the baby and at the baby's feet, and when he did he kind of jerked back."
In a standoff, the dog stood between the baby and the snake.
"[Bryan] goes, 'Get the baby now and take him in the house,' and it scared me," added Alicia Holloway, the boy's mother.
Shiloh ended up badly injured from a snake bite and quickly swelled up, according to People.
"Turning his head to the side and shaking his head and you could tell he'd been hurt, that the snake had gotten him," Bryan said. "As furry as he is, and he has so much fur around his neck, you could visibly see the swelling."
After copious amounts of antibiotics and pain medication, the family dog made a full recovery. The Holloways will always be grateful to Shiloh for saving their son's life.
"He's 24 pounds, and I believe that it would have killed him," Alicia explained. "We give God the glory in everything, and we know that he used that dog, that wonderful dog, to protect him, and we're thankful every day for him now."