A 22-year-old man in Maine is dead after a fireworks accident on the 4th of July.
Devon Staples of Calais, Maine, was instantly killed when he set off a fireworks mortar that he put on his head.
Maine Public Safety Spokesperson Steve McCausland said that the incident, which took place around 10 p.m., occurred after Staples and his friends had been drinking in a Calais home.
This is the first death caused by fireworks since they were legalized in Maine two years ago, officials say.
According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, fireworks were involved in more than 10,000 injuries and 11 deaths in 2014 alone.
Photo Credit: WCSH 6