President Donald Trump has lashed out after a federal judge blocked his administration from taking away funds from sanctuary cities.
Judge William H. Orrick ruled that a threat the White House had made to take away federal funding from cities that did not cooperate with federal immigration enforcement may be unconstitutional, CNN reports. Orrick's ruling applies nationwide, preventing the Trump administration from following through on blocking the funds.
According to Orrick's ruling, the cities and counties that had challenged Trump's January executive order on immigration may face "immediate, irreparable harm" from the policy.
"First the Ninth Circuit rules against the ban & now it hits again on sanctuary cities," tweeted the president in the early hours of April 26. "Both ridiculous rulings. See you in the Supreme Court!"
Trump's tweet referenced U.S. District Judge Derrick Watson of Hawaii's ruling in March, which brought his proposed travel ban targeting a number of Muslim-majority countries to a halt.
As The Daily Beast points out, while Orrick is a U.S. district court judge, Trump wrongly identified him as sitting on the Ninth Circuit.
"Out of our very big country, with many choices, does everyone notice that both the 'ban' case and now the 'sanctuary' case is brought in the Ninth Circuit, which has a terrible record of being overturned (close to 80%)," Trump continued. "They used to call this 'judge shopping!' Messy system."
"This case is yet one more example of egregious overreach by a single, unelected district judge," said a statement from the White House, reports Politico. "Today’s ruling undermines faith in our legal system and raises serious questions about circuit shopping."
"But we are confident we will ultimately prevail in the Supreme Court, just as we will prevail in our lawful efforts to impose immigration restrictions necessary to keep terrorists out of the United States," the statement continued.
White House Chief of Staff Reince Priebus said the decision was "the Ninth Circuit going bananas," adding that he would "take action" against the ruling.
Counsel to Santa Clara County James Williams called the ruling "an absolutely huge win," saying, "The threat to withhold funds from state and local governments in this executive order is dead."
"Faced with the law, the Trump administration was forced to back down," said Dennis Herrera, a San Francisco city attorney. "This is why we have courts -- to halt the overreach of a president and an attorney general who either don't understand the Constitution or choose to ignore it."
If the case is appealed, it will appear before the Ninth Circuit court, which previously upheld the nationwide block on Trump's first travel ban before the administration issued a revised order.