It’s true, I’ve jumped on the juicing bandwagon. Somehow I made it through the last year and a half without getting sick, not even a cold. I’ve managed to catch a nasty cold this week and my juicing craze couldn’t have come sooner. I’ve been drinking this concoction every day and I feel so much better right after I drink it.
Today, I’ve asked Marissa Vicario, Health and Nutrition Counselor to give us the skinny on juicing.
For most of us, sometime after the age of five, juice begins to lose its appeal. But some twenty years later, I’ve come full circle and picked it up again. This time it’s not the red, fruity kind that has my attention but rather the green, veggie variety. How and why, you ask, could I ever suck green liquid through a straw like my life depends on it? Quite, frankly, because it does!
Daily juicing is one of the healthiest habits I’ve ever acquired and the benefits, I believe, far outweigh my other healthy choices like working out consistently. One raw juice has millions more nutrients than any amount of fruit or vegetables you could ever possibly eat in one sitting and because the fiber is removed, all of those nutrients are absorbed straight into your bloodstream requiring no digestion.
Coffee fiend? A green juice will serve up a jolt of energy like you’ve never experienced without the crazy side effects of caffeine. Uncontrollable sugar cravings? Green juice can banish those too. How about an urge to snack between meals? Sipping green juice has a way of carrying you to that next meal snack-free.
Other benefits of juicing include:
- Liver detoxification
- Alkalizing the body
- Cardiovascular health
- Healthy, glowing and strong skin, hair and nails
- Improved circulation
- Increased energy by day, more restful sleep by night
- Strengthened immune system
- Weight loss
If you’re convinced and ready to try it yourself, follow these tips:
- If juicing at home, buy the best juicer you can afford. If you’re a beginner, don’t break the bank on it, you can always upgrade later. Leave the juicer on your kitchen counter so it is readily available.
- If purchasing your juice, look for organic juice bars and if juicing at home, use organic vegetables. This is very important since the entire vegetable – skin and all – is juiced.
- Consume juice as fresh as possible but if you’re traveling or don’t have time to juice, don’t let that stop you! Freeze your juice the day before then take it on the go or pack it securely in your checked baggage (try a mini cooler bag with ice packs). Refrigerate the thawed juice as soon as you get to your destination and enjoy it as soon as possible.
- Juice first thing in the morning or on an empty stomach to allow full absorption of all the nutrients
- Juice as often as possible and bask in your new, healthy glow!
My favorite morning juice recipe right now is this Green Lemonade:
4-5 stalks celery
5 kale leaves
· For more information on Marissa’s health and wellness programs, visit www.mwahonline.com