Actor John Travolta asked prosecutor Neil Braithwaite to dismiss the extortion case on Monday, according to reports.
A retrial of the case was scheduled to begin against the two individuals that attempted to extort $25 million from Travolta. The case was originally declared a mistrial.
Travolta, 56, had continued to go after the defendants Tarino Lightbourne and Pleasant Bridgewater. But now Travolta has asked the judge to dismiss the case.
“I am grateful and appreciative of the dedication, hard work and support provided by the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions and the Royal Bahamas Police Force while handling matters associated with the attempted extortion that targeted my family in January of 2009,” Travolta told TMZ in a statement.
“Throughout the investigation and prosecution, my staff and I remained fully supportive of all requests for assistance from law enforcement representatives even though this cooperation was at a great emotional cost to my family,” he said.
“Unfortunately, in early October of last year the first trial of this matter resulted in a mistrial. Almost a year later, the long pending status of this matter continued to take a heavy emotional toll on my family causing us to conclude that it was finally time to put this matter behind us,” Travolta explained. “Therefore, after much reflection I concluded that it was in my family’s best interest for me not to voluntarily return to The Bahamas to testify a second time at trial. We are thankful to the people of The Bahamas for the friendship, love and support they provided to us during this matter.”
John Travolta and his wife Kelly Preston have had a rough couple of years after their teenage son Jett suffered a fatal seizure while vacationing in the Bahamas. But last month the couple had some good news after learning Kelly, 47, is pregnant with a son. Travolta stated, “We tried for several years, and we didn’t think it was going to happen for us. This is a miracle, and we feel blessed.”