Notes and tidbits from the Doctor's office to help you get an edge on your fantasy competition.
The Doctor is in...
1) The Yankees have offered SS Derek Jeter 3yrs/$45 million but it looks like the Yankee captain wants a 4th year to sign the deal. He may not be worth the extra year or the extra $$, but how does Brian Cashman say no to the face of the Yankees? He doesn't-- Jeter will get his cash.
2) Astros trade Felipe Paulino to the Rockies for Clint Barmes. Just another bad move for the Astros. Paulino has always had good stuff; he just needs to harness it. My guess is that hanging out with Ubaldo Jimenez will help.
3) Pirates hire Clint Hurdle to be their next manager. A surprisingly terrific move by the Pirates--Hurdle will bring over a winning frame of mind and will help the Pirates young players get to the next level.
4) Braves acquire Dan Uggla from the Marlins for Omar Infante and Mike Dunn. Once again, the Braves make a trade for an aged player who still has something left in the tank. Infante had a career year last year, and Dunn has good stuff, but finding a 30 HR hitting second basemen like Uggla doesn't happen so easily. It's a bit shocking that the Fish couldn't have gotten more.
5) South Korea defeats Taiwan 9-3 in the finale of the Asian Games. Shin-Soo Choo owners should rejoice--Choo does not have to worry about his 2 year military commitment back in South Korea anymore.
6) Tigers sign reliever Joaquin Benoit to a 3yr/ $16.5 million contract. OUCH! Benoit has a terrific arm, but that is a pretty steep contract for a middle reliever. Can anyone say Kyle Farnsworth???
7) Felix Hernandez wins the AL Cy Young Award last week. Think of it this way--if King Felix pitched for the Yankees he would have won 22 games.
8) Yankees trade 1B Juan Miranda to the D'Backs for P Scott Allen. You may have never heard of Juan Miranda, but he has excellent power. Nice move for the Snakes.
9) Mets are set to name their manager early next week. He may not win the job, but anyone who was a fan of the 1986 team is rooting for Wally Backman.
10) John Buck signs with the Marlins for 3yrs/$18 million. Dr. Roto has always liked Buck and sees this as a good signing for the Fish. He will be a decent bat in the middle of their lineup (although don't expect 25 HR).
The Doctor is out...
Have a Fantasy Football or Rotisserie baseball question? Want to know who to pick up, who to activate and who the hot prospects are? Listen to our weekly Fantasy Baseball 411 Podcasts and let Dr. Roto guide your team to a league championship.
Check out these other stories.....