The fourth diagnosis was a charm for Mississippi resident Jessica Jones after she hopped from one hospital to another searching for a reason she was experiencing unbearable pain and blistering on both of her feet.
WVUE reported that Jones unraveled the bandages surrounding both her ankles and revealed her swollen, blistered, purple and blue skin. The trauma looked so severe, they said, that it would be easy to assume that both her feet had been broken in a bizarre accident. But it was something truly ordinary that caused the damage.
In the middle of February, Jones says she remembers there being small red blotches on her ankles, which were feeling tight. She assumed it was a spider bite, and her primary care doctor diagnosed the symptoms as cellulitis, a bacterial skin infection.
After taking antibiotics and steroids, Jones was still in outrageous pain. Blisters began to form around her ankles.
The next emergency room gave Jones a diagnosis of Bullous pemphigoid, a rare skin condition tied to an autoimmune disorder.
Yet steroid creams and pain medications were did not affect the giant blisters, and Jones reported that she was barely walking.
After trips to two more hospitals, Jones was provided two more diagnoses: one said it was photosensitivity rash and the other thought it to be systemic lupus erythematosus. Neither proved correct and neither prescription worked. By this point, Jones says she was fed up with medications that weren't fixing her issues
What's more, the pain and swelling had bound Jones to a wheelchair.
"It scared me because I'm thinking, what if they have to amputate my feet? That was going through my mind," she said.
Nearly two weeks after her first diagnosis for cellulitis, Jones says she was in so much pain that she called 911, requested an ambulance, and had them take her to a hospital in New Orleans.
In that hospital's emergency room, one doctor asked the most basic question: Had Jones worn any new shoes recently?
And indeed, Jones had purchased and wore new shoes a week and a half before the symptoms began. They were a popular leather brand of sandals, and they were found to be the cause of all her troubles.
"The doctor said where the strap is located on the shoe is exactly where your burns are. She says this is looking more like a chemical burn from leather more than bullous impetigus or lupus," Jones said, reports WVUE.
Even her hands were irritated from touching the sandals, which she says were $25.
The final -- and correct -- diagnosis turned out to be contact dermatitis, an allergic reaction to the leather in the shoes. Jones' case was very severe.
According to the American Academy of Dermatology, nearly everyone at some point has suffered from contact dermatitis. And 80 percent of those diagnosed with dermatitis successfully recover without complications.
Jones said she isn’t upset with the shoe manufacturer and recognizes that her body's reaction to the chemicals, and not the chemicals themselves, had caused her agony.